How to get a verified badge — criteria, essential steps & tips
Following Instagram accounts, you may notice more than once that there is a blue check mark next to the username. A verified badge indicates other users that this account is a true profile of a brand, celebrity or an influencer. For instance, fans often create fan pages and give them similar usernames. A blue check mark helps people to identify a real account to avoid mixing it up with fake ones.
Moreover, if an account has this sign, users will trust it more. The administration of Instagram doesn't give it to everyone, but only to those profiles that fulfill certain criteria.
If Instagram used to independently select profiles that were assigned a blue check mark, then from August 28, 2018, users can send a request to confirm the Instagram profile. The blue check mark will be given to those accounts that the Instagram administration considers meeting several criteria:
- Authenticity. The account must belong to a real person, organization or brand.
- Uniqueness. One person can own only one verified account that is dedicated to something that distinguishes this person or brand from others. For instance, Instagram won't approve the application if you promote a page with cat memes.
- Completeness. Before applying for account verification, work on its visual side and bio. Make sure that you have a profile photo, a fulfilled bio and enough posts. Also be active while waiting for a blue badge to be received so that the Instagram administration sees that your account isn't abandoned, and you have a high percentage of coverage and the level of audience engagement. Do not forget that the profile must be public.
- Notability. Work with your other social networks, as they also can influence on getting a blue badge. Your mention in different sources is a key player, as this indicates your popularity.
If you are convinced that your account meets the conditions of Instagram, then you can get down to business and send a request for page verification.
01. Open Instagram and go to your profile. Tap on the three horizontal bars in the upper right corner of the screen.
02. Go to Settings.
03. Find Account and tap on it.
04. Then hit Request verification.
05. Fill out the form. In Document type select a document that confirms your identity.
When filling in the Full name field, if your account is a page of a famous person, then just enter your name and surname. If you maintain a brand or organization account, then specify the full name of the owner to whom this business is registered.
When choosing a document that confirms your identity, specify your driving license, passport or national identification card if you have a personal account. For the profile of the organization, attach extracts from the tax filing, recent utility bill or articles of incorporation.
In addition to the criteria prescribed by Instagram itself, we want to share a few of our tips.
- Don't put links to other socials (Twitter, YouTube). Instagram won't verify your account. You can add a link to your personal website or landing page.
- Try to naturally increase your audience throughout the entire period of maintaining your account. That is, post content that would appeal to Instagram users, and they would follow you. Choose only the honest way. Avoid using special programs to increase the amount of followers.
- Don't try to get a blue check mark for money. If someone writes to you that he or she works in the Instagram administration and can give you verification if you pay, don't get fooled by it.
- If it happens that Instagram didn't approve the application and didn't give you a blue badge, don't give up! Work on recognition, on the quality and uniqueness of the content and try to get it again. Re-submission of the application is possible in a month.
- Use hashtags. A useful feature of Instagram is hashtags. They make your posts visible to more Instagram users. Thereby improving the statistics of your page and increasing the number of followers. Read in our article how to use hashtags correctly.
If you decide to get a blue check mark, then you need to competently approach the management of your Instagram page and interaction with the audience.
You have to take the visual side of your content seriously, as well as give careful thought to a bio tool. Unfortunately, Instagram allows its users to add only one link. But Taplink is coming to the rescue! Taplink is an advanced bio tool that helps to create a landing page. This service will tell your clients about your business, share contacts and links to your other socials. Read this article for getting more information on how to add a multilink to the bio.
Put a link to your Taplink page on other social networks. People will tap on it and follow the link to your Instagram. Thus, you will increase the level of coverage and amount of your followers.
Once you've got a blue check mark, don't stop on it. Verification isn't the end point. This is the beginning of new opportunities. From the moment when you become an owner of a verified badge, work even more on the quality of the content so that Instagram users don't question why you got verification. For instance, don't post photos with emojis, but write texts so that the profile doesn't look amateur. Also pay attention to the design of the bio account.
If you want to draw client attention and increase the traffic to your Instagram page, tell followers more about yourself. To do this, use Taplink.
The exact time period of checking the application by Instagram isn't indicated. Some users wait a month, others can be in a limbo for a couple of hours. Please remember that during the verification waiting period you have to be active on Instagram, try not to get into situations that can change the audience's attitude to you. That's more don't use third-party services that can affect Instagram statistics.
Have you ever tried to get a blue check mark? Share your experience in the comments below.