don't miss new features
There are people who haven't updated Instagram for years. They explain that this social network may start working worse, or their mobile phone isn't good enough for launching a new version of the app. We must admit that in some cases such a position is reasonable. For instance, if the phone was made 6 years ago, there is a likelihood of problems with new software developments.
Still, it's crucial to measure the risk and benefit of such actions.
- First and foremost, you have to update the app for security of your data. Often, loopholes for hackers are found in the code, and programmers strive to eliminate them quickly. This is not something super serious, that's a usual thing for any program. IT specialists do their best by monitoring a single point of failure and fixing it. Therefore, if an Instagram account is valuable for you, it's better to update the app on a regular basis. That's more, it's free of charge.
- The second reason is the ability to use the new features. Instagram shows a high growth and always enriches its functionality with new features for users' pleasure. If you run a business account and focus on its development, it's especially important for you to be in the loop of updates.
- Open Play Market and tap your profile photo in the upper-right corner.
- Choose Manage apps & device.
- Hit Updates.
- Find Instagram and tap Update next to it. If you don't see Instagram in this list, the app doesn't demand an update.
- Go to Play Market and tap the search bar.
- Write "Instagram" in the search bar.
- Next to Instagram you can see Update or Open. If you see Update, hit it.
All the files will be downloaded, and the app will get the latest version. If you see Open instead of Update, there is no need for that.
- Go to App Store and tap your profile photo in the upper-right corner.
- You will see a list with upcoming automatic updates. If you see Instagram amid apps that are waiting for updates, tap Update next to it.
If you can't find this social media in this list, that means there is no need for updating. You have the latest version of Instagram.
- Open App Store and hit Search.
- Then, tap the search bar in the top part of the screen.
- Write "Instagram" and tap search.
- If you see Update next to Instagram, hit it. In case there is Open, you don't need to update the app.
There are several ways to make the app update automatically or, conversely, manually. Let's consider all the options.
- Open Instagram and tap three lines in the upper-right corner.
- Go to Settings.
- Choose About.
- Hit App Updates.
- Move the slider to the right next to Auto-Update Instagram.
- Open Play Market and tap the search bar.
- Type "Instagram" in the search bar to find the app.
- Hit three dots in the top part of the screen.
- Put a checkmark next to Enable auto update.
- Open the start page again and tap your profile photo in the upper-right corner.
- Hit Settings.
- Tap Networks preferences.
- Choose Auto-update apps.
- You can update Instagram over any network or select over Wi-Fi only. I prefer auto-updating Over Wi-Fi only, so data changes won't be applied.
- Open iPhone Settings.
- Find and tap App Store.
- Move the slider to the right next to App Updates. If you see that the button is gray, it means that auto-update is turned off. If it has a green color, it means that new versions of the app on your device will be installed automatically.
By the way, if you have several gadgets by Apple, you can update apps at once on all of your devices. To do that, move the slider to the right next to Apps.
- If you are an Android user, go to the device settings and open Apps.
- Find and hit Instagram.
Here you can find out the information you need.
- Go to Settings.
- Open General.
- Choose iPhone Storage.
- Search for Instagram and tap it.
Here you can see the version that's installed on your iPhone.
Now you know how to update Instagram on devices working on iOS or Android. If Instagram doesn't work or slows down after updating for some reason, you can restart the device and log in to the social network again. A more radical solution is to uninstall the program and install it again. But such problems are rare. Use this guide to update the app correctly. If you still can't update the app, don't be afraid to write to Instagram Support.
Do you prefer automatic updates, or do you like to set up the time of updating manually? Write in the comments below.